Pages

Thursday 2 September 2010

in a little 'English' bubble

Everyone talks French here and I feel like I'm in a little bubble oblivious of the world outside. Lille seems like a nice town, although haven't seen enough of it - only ventured out for dinner last night.

 Unfortunately I'm staying in student accommodation about 15 minutes from the city and about 3 train stops from where the conference is located. I think I like this idea of not know what everyone else is saying - Its almost like I am being sheltered from the world in a way. Makes me think of all the people coming to a new country where they don't speak the language or all the isiXhosa speakers in Cape Town trying to engage with the dominant and dismissive English world. Now in this situation my English doesn't buy me any power - how sobering!

No comments:

Post a Comment