Pages

Sunday 12 September 2010

Time

Sitting at the window on my flight to Rome I saw all these white fluffy clouds. The wonderfully, big, white puffed out clouds you see in children's animated stories. I imagined myself floating on these white, weightless beauties, and all my troubles and thoughts becoming white, light and weightless just like the clouds.

My trip was beautiful in many ways and equally sad. I felt as if time were this tangible yet intangible thing all at the same time. Amongst the wonders of Rome where the ancient and contemporary sit next to each other like old lovers, deeply comfortable, I allowed time to wash over me. Everything passes - all the joy, happiness, anger, sorrow and hurt - slowly or quickly. Time whether you want it to or not washes over you

I spent Friday night in Sorrento at the birthday party of my oldest friend. Besides my family he is probably the only other person I know that I have had a tangible relationship with for more than 30 years. Reflecting on that now, it's amazing who we once were 32 or so years ago, and what we have become. Could we ever have imagined celebrating a birthday together in Sorrento, Italy? Who we once were and who we have become, who we are becoming...

I decided to take few photographs and just take in the moments, the sights, smells, thoughts and feelings, the time in this country were allowing me to experience and if I forgot them later it would be ok.

Twilight descending on the road towards the Colosseum. The Santi Cosma d Damiano is on the right

Some local children drinking water in the main street of Sorrento

No comments:

Post a Comment