Pages

Thursday 23 September 2010

Explorations in Ethnography

I'm off to a conference at Ashton University in Birmingham today - in the next hour or so actually. I'm really looking forward to it for some strange reason. Somehow I feel I will be 'entertained' with great and innovative ideas and insights. Feel that is what I need for myself at the moment. Also Carey Jewitt (no photo so how will I recognise her in the crowd?) is the key note speaker today. Anybody, who is anybody working with multimodal data will know who she is. I feel so privileged to be able to see these great scholars - to have almost ready access to them. ML said to me yesterday - oh you must introduce yourself to this one and that one - tell them that you are working with RG and me. I thought yeah right, I'll just walk up to these famous scholars and say - "Hello I'm Lynn from the OU and ML and RG are my supervisors. I find your work really interesting and helpful in helping me understand my research". Not bad for a little girlie from Bridgetown ne!

Well maybe I will - I learn again from Stephen who sees all these events as a step closer to making the right connection that will lead to his dream job. But at a more fundamental level and possibly even more important its just a good opportunity to make valuable personal connections with real people in a very abstracted, almost detached from reality world.

2 comments:

  1. I can't BELIEVE I'm not going to this conference. I'm such and idiot.

    I did, however, get drunk with Ben R. and Charlie B. last night. That was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No so sure you would want to be so public about this little bonding session Stephen. Especially if you had witnessed the final plenary discussion on Friday. I came away highly disgusted and offended actually.

    ReplyDelete