Pages

Friday 17 September 2010

Sunshine (Vitamin D) and human interaction (Social Vitamins)

Sunshine and people seem to make my world go round. I've had two really great uplifting days. All because the sun was out and I had some meaningful human interaction. Maybe that is what I miss most about my 'old' life back home; the sun and the easy access to meaningful human engagement.

Stephen (he signed the consent form and is happy to be 'outed' on this blog) reminded me today that its been two years since he arrived with his family in England. I forgot which day I arrived - think is was around September 22. I do remember leaving my flat in a state - boxes everywhere, the bed still in its place, all my plants on the stoep at front door. I also remember driving back to my flat, from Bridgetown just hours before I got on the plane to London, on the pretence that I have forgotten something, just so I could feel my presence there for the last time. Thinking back to that first year in the UK - on the personal front everything just seemed to go wrong. I just didn't fit, I just couldn't fit, but in a strange way I almost can't remember those really dark times. But I know I've experienced it because I am fundamentally different today because of it.

In a couple of weeks the amount of time I have left in the UK will get progressively shorter than the time already spent here. I would have tipped the balance in favour of a return back to Cape Town. This makes me happy, but also contemplative about my time here. The move to the UK has been such a fundamental event in my life with the impact and consequence having this almost constant rippling effect on how I see the world and my becoming in the world.

Wow - I only wanted to say how good the sun and contact with my friends and colleagues was over these past few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment