Pages

Tuesday 7 February 2012

A good start to a flat and disappointing day


I think today pretty much epitomises the type of week I’ve had. It started off well, fell sharply in the middle and then continued its downward spiral. But let’s focus on the day and see if I manage to draw parallels with the week.

I got up really early this morning and by 8am I was walking along the False Bay coast from Muizenberg to St James. It was overcast for much of the time that I was walking alongside the ocean and the sea looked all grey, dirty but calm. I just loved the smell of the ocean, and listening to the crashing of the waves while being able to marvel at the crevasses and textures of the mountains literally on the other side of the road. Cape Town – the wonder and diversity of this city just astounds me each time I stop to take in its natural beauty.
On the way to St James along the road

At St James beach heading back to Muizenberg along the coastal walk-way

By 9:10am I was back at my make-shift desk working on a presentation I was scheduled to make at 2:30pm. I was pretty distracted yesterday, so today I was determined to focus, focus, focus and not concede to the endless urges to click on links that would take me away from my work. I planned to do some participant validation activities in my research sites while in Cape Town and today I had my first such event. In retrospect I’m starting understanding that the first time you present any of your work, invariably is an unsettling experience. You don’t quite feel comfortable with the interpretations you’re making or the argument you’re constructing or how you’re sequencing and structuring the logic of the points your want to make. Add this to a mixture of participants who are exhausted by the heat and a sauna-like venue to present in, and the outcome is probably self-explanatory. I was literally drenched in my t-shirt while trying to present a calm and professional demeanour as I painfully moved through the 30 slides. One of the first lessons I learnt as a teacher and facilitator was to pay attention to my students and participants, sensing if things weren’t going well for them and then to respond in a flexible and adaptive manner. Well I could see things weren’t going well, but felt duty bound to present my complete analysis i.e. all 30 slides, and didn’t feel comfortable skipping bits here and there. So the only flexibility I was able to suggest came right at the end of the presentation when I suggested we arrange another meeting to talk through their impressions and where I could get some clarity on some questions I had. It was just such a disappointing turn of events – of course no one was to blame; I just wish somehow it could have turned out better. I guess I expected more, I wanted more to come from the engagement, I want some vindication, some affirmation to balance out the experience I had last week. I just wanted something better, positive, light – a sign that all of this makes sense, that it’s going somewhere, somewhere good...Maybe this sign is still in the making, under construction and I have to be patient.

Tomorrow I start re-working the analysis piece I submitted to my supervisors for comment almost three weeks ago. I’ve asked them to stop reading and expect to produce a new and improved version by Friday. I’ve also decided to leave the safety of my make-shift desk and venture out to a public platform to work. Since I’ve arrived in Cape Town I’ve been working in solitary confinement at my various make-shift desks. Tomorrow I’m going to break this pattern in the hope that it opens up the opportunity to see things differently, that my work, my insights are somehow rejuvenated. I need a fresh look at things, I need an injection of new energy to drive me forward...lets open this offers me exactly what I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment