Pages

Thursday 6 October 2011

wondering...

I have 12 months left of my paid full-time PhD studentship. I wonder how this experience might have been shaped if I did it part-time, if I funded it myself, if I did it with different supervisors, if I did it in South Africa. How much do these seemingly, inconsequential contextual issues impact on the experience of the PhD? Think I've lamented about these issues previously, well maybe many time in the past.

I'm constantly reminded how my learning experience is certainly not what I signed up for. I constantly encounter  examples (of my own and those of my colleagues) that show how the whole structuring of the PhD process,  especially the supervision relationship, is riddled with inequalities and unfairness. How do you suck that up for three years without becoming either completely demoralised, disconnected or jaded by this practice of learning?

No comments:

Post a Comment