Pages

Monday 4 April 2011

reassured

Spoke to one of my supervisors today. I sent a somewhat frantic e-mail last week basically begging for an opportunity to talk about my fieldwork. I was just feeling like I wasn't doing things right - not being able to do enough analysis work, my concerns about my interview approach and whether or not I was sufficiently accommodating the Bernsteinian aspects within the data collection. Panic, panic, panic - understandable though. When I'm like this in both my personal and professional lives - all I need, is to talk - I just need to express myself verbally and I almost immediately calm down and gain a level of perspective.

So, today I talked and got the reassurances I needed. I feel I can continue now with confidence - collecting my data is my paramount task, making sure I capture the environment in as much detail through my fieldnotes and ensuring that I organise my data so I can easily retrieve it  later. This is all I need to concentrate on for now - I don't need to be doing anything else - this will be enough. Sjoe!

I also realised that I need to find new avenues to express myself and ask for help when needed. I really don't have to keep the anxiety, worries, excitement and wonderment generated by this fieldwork experience to myself.  It's good to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment