Pages

Monday 11 April 2011

being an ethnographer for real

For real indeed - not just a wishy washy, pick bits and pieces here and there of the methodology that suits you now and then, but a full on hard core ethnographer - the kind that embraces all the ontological and epistemological assumptions that goes along with this kind of research. Hmm, yeah and so? Well, reflecting on my experience of trying to do ethnographic research today in supervision - I had to admit that I was conflicted in this role as ethnographer and that I didn't always embrace the ontological positioning it espoused. I know I've mentioned this before and I've had glimpses of this conflict before, but I'm starting to feel and internalise it now that I'm in the field. Seems I cant just collect data without wanting to analyse it using have a ready formulated conceptual and analytical framework. No no no say the supervisors...just collect the data, don't worry about conceptual, analytical, whateveryoumacallit frameworks - just concern yourself with the data. Theory is meant to help you understand the data you have collected, you aren't meant to use the data to help explain or support the theory. Hmm, yes I understand - I say, but this paradigm shift takes a while to process and take on board. Hey, but I'm open to the shift, lets hope my need for structure and certainty doesn't sabotage this openness.

No comments:

Post a Comment