Pages

Sunday 16 January 2011

feedback and conflicting emotions

Writing is an emotional undertaking. It's not just about writing words on a page, but involves every element of your being and your identity. What I'm saying here aren't new insights - I just have to refer to the work of Ivanic, Lillis, Lea, Thesen, Paxton etc, etc...who have written more articulately and intelligently about the crucial role of the self in academic writing. It stands to reason then that when you get feedback on your writing, especially critical feedback, it can feel as if you have been punched right in the stomach, and you are sent reeling as you try to recover.

I got feedback on some feedback relating to my attempt to get published in the HERD journal. Basically I've been encouraged to rework the article in order to adequately address the reviewers' concerns. Concerns which I thought I understood and addressed. I feel in such a powerless position because I don't know who to trust - my own interpretation or that of the secondary reviewer. The stakes are too high to get it wrong and as a novice at the journal publication game I feel I've been squeezed into a corner. I haven't had the strength to look at my reworked paper and my own responses to the journal reviewers' comments since I received the secondary feedback on Friday, but with only 19 days before a submission is required I can't keep my head in the sand much longer. The suggested changes are do-able, I'm just conflicted and fighting the obvious issues of power embedded in the whole process, yet I can feel myself capitulating. Choose your battles and maybe you can win the war - but why do I feel like its like 'know your place'

I plan a walk on the Sea Point promenade and a movie later today - maybe this will help to ease me into the inevitability of the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment