Pages

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Welcome 2011

Its been a while since I sat down and reflected on my PhD journey. I've been criss-crossing the globe (or so it feels like) having experienced three different counties in two different hemispheres in the space of 72 hours. My head was sent reeling as I tried to adjust, readjust and then adjust again to the different countries, continents, people and cultures. I've been in Cape Town for just under a week. In that time I've bought a car and started a serious hunt for a suitable place to stay. The weather has been true to form and its been really difficult to stay disciplined when all the cells in your body are instinctively directing you to the beach. In my fantasies I long for the comfort and security of the air conditioned library at UCT - where I can sit quietly with my books and theories while gazing down on the hot world at the foot of the mountain. But being car-less and having become taxi-shy due to my prolonged ownership of a car - this fantasy has not become a reality just yet.

I am also conscious of my colleagues back in MK setting a furious pace in their endeavours and so I'm feeling somewhat left behind. Last night at around 1am I felt the panic bite and felt the urgency to get my life more structured and focused on the work I need to do. Once I go into the field - it will have a life of its own - demanding all my time, energy and thinking attention. I have reviewers comments to attend to and a new paper for write for the French journal - along with completing a literature review on the disciplinary contexts that form part of my fieldwork sites.

Baby steps in the right direction I say?...or Stay Calm and Carry On!

No comments:

Post a Comment