Pages

Tuesday 18 January 2011

the ethics of fieldwork and blogging

My fieldwork has started - and while that might sound serious or fundamental - in reality nothing much has really happened, and it's been a rather mundane couple of days. My focus at the moment is on 'blending in' as much as possible.
BUT I've been wondering... how do I deal with the ethics of blogging about my fieldwork experiences?

I shouldn't really be blogging about my fieldwork is what I think is the ethical thing to do. In my communication to participants and the consent forms I hope they will all sign - I provide reassurances that I will protect their identities and their right to confidentiality. Blogging about my experiences flies in the face of all those reassurances. Even without specifically identifying particular people, mentioning events and happenings in the research site on this blog will mean that I am using information gained for research purposes on a platform that is clearly outside the academic environment - the only environment I indicated where I would use the data I gathered. I don't have a solution at this point - but I also know that I want to be able to reflect and comment about my experiences through this platform, so its a complex and very moral dilemma I need to resolve.

On the HERD publication front - I'm awaiting a second opinion - promising??? well I think it could go either way, for or against the previous feedback-on-feedback I received. But either way I'll feel more reassured that I stayed true to myself, my own unease, a sense that something was not right. Of course all these delays are eating away at my revision time - less than 17 days to submission - and will ultimately put more pressure on me.

Tomorrow I go to the Mobilities Language and Literacy conference which I am really looking forward to. I will get to see all the BIG names in the varied fields of language, linguistics and literacies in THE FLESH. All the big Chiefs (and yes they are mostly men but probably more of the Pilgrim variety) will be in action - although I suspect the little Indians will have more interesting things to say. I will also get to see some of my favourite Capetonian colleagues and friends and connect and network.

Now to write up my fieldnotes...

No comments:

Post a Comment