Pages

Tuesday 24 August 2010

some quick thoughts

Its Tuesday, the sun is shining in Milton Keynes (although I got caught in a series down pour yesterday and had to change out of my wet clothes) and I am working at home today. I HAVE to finish my Lille presentation. I leave for France next Wednesday. Before then I need to finish and revise the presentation and then get it translated into French. So I'm feeling the pressure at the moment. I've also been collating resources for my review of the research methodology literature which I need to make my focus for October and November. Strangely as August is drawing to a close I can feel the end of the summer and the 'holiday' feeling that pervades this time of year. While I haven't taken holiday I've been in a holiday state of mind, gently getting on with my work without clear deadlines and I can feel a soft shift from this disposition.

Also I've been looking at the cost of flights back to Cape Town for my fieldwork - Oh my goodness - out of this world the prices. Small consolation;  I don't have to pay for it, but it comes out of my research grant for the year and so will completely kill it off in one swoop. I need to firm up my dates so I can make a booking before prices hit the roof. But thinking about flights home also means I have to start thinking about loads of other logistical nightmares to come, not least what to do with my current home and where I might stay in Cape Town. As usual I'm less worried about my Cape Town arrangements - I know I can rely on my support network to make the landing oh so soft. But on this side I still have to think through all the options and get comfortable with whatever decision I make and then act on it. I guess the positive out of all of this, is that I only have to worry about Milton Keynes and in that respect the thought of coming home for 6 months is oh so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment