Pages

Thursday 26 August 2010

rain rain go away

Its been pissing down all day and its gloomy too. Last night I sat under a blanket in front of the TV and threatened to turn on the heating - but my budget minded, or no, energy saving conscience would not allow me too - I just put on some socks and a warmer fleece.

I'm sitting at the OU watching the rain come down. I've just collected a stack of photocopied books from the printing department that I had neatly bound. The stacks represent the research methodology reading I need to familiarise myself with over the next couple of weeks. On a more positive note, I also completed my Lille presentation today and sent it off to be translated into French, a requirement for the conference. Next week this time I will be in France, hopefully gaining more insight into the notion of literacies within HE. Last night I was reading around the area of Critical Literacy and Critical Language Awareness and it took me way back to my HDE and adult education days - when I wanted to be a critical educator helping my students to become aware of the the unequal world in which they lived and to question assumptions about power, ideology and injustice. It seems such a long time ago and I wonder if I still share those ideals or if they have been recontextualised into a form I can no longer recognise.

I'm thinking of working at home tomorrow - its the start of the long weekend here and it seems like the thing to do in such boring and gloomy weather. On Sunday its the Nottinghill Carnival in London and I plan to go with the rest of the family - hoping the weather will play along. Tonight I'm going to try to recreate my mother's green-beans dinner made with special home grown green beans courtesy of one of my colleages.

With the weather and the green beans, if I sit quietly for a moment, maybe I'll be able to transport myself back to Cape Town and feel all safe and comfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment