Pages

Wednesday 18 August 2010

Not such a great day

It's been one of those. I woke up feeling a bit like death warmed up, but then again I went to bed feeling a bit like death warmed up. And so the day started. I had plans of course, but had to put them aside and decided to stay in bed, sleep and try to shake the death-warmed-up feeling. I had a short little break of about 4 days last week and was back in the academic saddle by Monday evening. But its been a slow transition back to work, with me longing for my 'normal' 9-5 existence yesterday - I'd like to be in a place where my whole day isn't devoted to abstract, conceptual thought that are so difficult to measure and if I only write one page I feel as if I've been completely unproductive.

The editing of my paper continues, and continues and continues - when will it freaking end I ask. I found some comfort in reading my colleague's blog earlier - he was lamenting (positively) about the act of writing and the endless revisions, revisions, revisions and I've decided to draw inspiration from his positive outlook on the whole process - I just want it to be quicker, faster...but I don't think that will ever be the case. Now my paper just needs a revision of its conclusion and then I will be ready to send it to a colleague for comments and then off to the journal - hopefully by the weekend (if I can shake this death-warmed-up feeling). Like SP says


  1. The worst that could happen is it gets rejected without comments. In that case I can send it to a smaller journal and I’ll have just lost about three months.
  2. They could reject the article with some constructive criticism.
  3. They could ask me to revise and resubmit.


I visited Oxford last week - think I like it more than Cambridge, although I cant say why. I think my appreciation for the place was helped by the fact that you don't have to pay to visit most of the colleges here, unlike Cambridge - a big plus in anyone's books.


In one of the gardens in Oxford
No its not a gargoyle, outside the main Theatre


Seems even in Oxford they have rubbish



No comments:

Post a Comment