Pages

Thursday 10 June 2010

Pre-mini-viva meeting

Today has been a long day, a tiring day but a good day. Only about 20 hours to go before the Bafana Bafana open the World Cup in South Africa (I'm sobbing inside I tell you, but I'm an adult and I'm not going to whinge about not being in SA during the World Cup ANYMORE!). I'm pleased my mini-viva is on Tuesday so I can spend most of my days idly watching too much soccer (yes soccer and not football...in defiance of the English hegemonic claim that you cant call football soccer!) hopefully without an overwhelming sense of guilt in relation to my studies.

I met my supervisors today to go through the presentation I prepared for my mini-viva next week. It was a really informative, useful meeting - they pointed out some useful issues I had omitted, helped me frame some of my arguments more articulately, made some suggestions about the structure of my presentation and the clarity of diagrams I had included. We also discussed possible questions I might be asked and again they offered some angles that I hadn't really thought about. But more importantly, I feel ready for the oral and confident with the progress I have made to date. This weekend I will work through the list of questions I have developed trying to formulate appropriate answers. I might also need to re-visit some of the seminal articles in the Academic literacies literature to do justice to some of the points  raised by my supervisors today.

I am feeling surprisingly calm and prepared for my mini-viva, think I'm starting to internalise what I'm being told - that I'm making good progress with my studies. Today I seriously feel I can DO THIS THING!

No comments:

Post a Comment