Pages

Sunday 14 October 2012

domestic issues aside?

The week started well and then unfortunately disintegrated into a mess as I has to look away from the thesis and face a series of domestic issues needing attention. My Research methodology chapter is still hanging as a result - I've made a first, but solid, stab at carefully articulating my analytic framework and I've resolved not to raise the issue of generalisability in this chapter but deal with it in the conclusion, if I'm going to deal with it at all. This is one of the chapters I'm most happy with and I think it provides a solid foundation that almost meticulously and explicitly lays bear what I did and why. So for now I'm reasonably happy. I think I will have to 'park it' for now and come back to it again before I make my Draft 1 submission. I need to make up lost time so have to move on to the analysis chapters. Now that the major domestic issues have been settled (my cooker and new security gates are installed) I can focus more intently on my work. I'm also hoping that certain parts of the thesis will progress quickly so I can catch-up on my work plan.

This week also saw me attending to reviewer comments about a book chapter I've been working on. This is the final submission and I've been pulling my hair out about minute stylistic detail and sentence structure. I wish my grammar and vocabulary were better - maybe this would help me craft beautiful sentences that clearly communicate my view points. But instead I've been fretting about my grammatical and word choices. There are certain paragraphs where I know I'm expressing the point I want to make in a really dull and convoluted way - but I just don't have the 'tools' I need to craft it more elegantly. Anyway - I suspect I'm going to bemoan this particular point over and over again during the next few months as I try to do the same thing with the thesis...heaven help me! The sun is shining outside, it's a beautiful day in Cape Town - maybe I'll get out and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment