Pages

Thursday 24 May 2012

on the top of Cambridge

Summer has finally arrived in England. One day I was wearing jeans and boots, and the next t-shirts, shorts and sandals. I'm not going to complain. In fact it's been lovely to have some blue skies for a change. Work has been slow, but I'm still working and waking up every morning thinking of my PhD.

I have to write a short chapter on the SA higher education landscape and for the past two days I've been plotting my argument and making very little headway. Whatever I wrote down just didn't seem to make sense. Mindmap after mindmap just didn't seem to capture the essence of what I wanted to say, the track I wanted to take with my discussion. Maybe I was just procrastinating and looking for a way out so, not coming up with a viable strategy for the chapter was excuse enough to just give up in frustration. I also seem to have a lot of time to write the chapter (even though that isn't strictly true) - another reason why I was hmm'ing and ah'ing about what I should or shouldn't cover in the chapter. Anyway, I worked on the chapter structure today and think I might have come up with something that could work. We'll have to see how it comes together over the weekend.

I spent yesterday afternoon in Cambridge and sat having drinks on the 'top' of Cambridge...or so it felt anyway while discussing the unfolding saga of 'The Spear' in South Africa. England, the weather, the light in the evening, the river, the pub, the punts, the warm beer, the people, the colleges steeped in tradition, wealth and elitism just seemed lovely - I wish I was a tourist because if I was one, then this would be the memory I would take away with me of the town, in that moment.

The top of Cambridge

No comments:

Post a Comment