Pages

Wednesday 16 May 2012

doing stuff

Trying to be productive this week as I realised I can't depend on a positive supervision to keep me afloat for more than 3 days. This is a reading week - I want to write a chapter that contextually situates my study within the South African higher education landscape but saying something specifically about the university of technology sector and the type of knowledge they foreground. So I've been reading very broadly and good to read South African work by South African scholars. I've dipped in very briefly into the Academic Development field in SA and it's so interesting to be reading about discourses, phases, 'chronotypes' I was actually involved in, and so recognise because of their practical relation to me. Stepping back from the practice you are in and then looking in at a meta-level really does offer perspective. I'm keen to see how this all comes together and if I'm able to shape it into coherent 'springboard' from which I can launch a plausible argument construction for the purpose and value of my study such as mine. We shall see.

On another note - my paper is HERD is now finally out - so if you can pay the fee, you can take a look at my intellectual work. I did the work for free but the journal is now charging (whoever is interested) to gain access to the fruits of my labour (how corrupt is that!) and before I burn my bridges... let me move on to other less interesting, mindless information.

I'm drafting a response to a chapter I need to review - boy is it difficult to appear supportive but critical while sounding suitable intelligent and knowledgeable to be participating in the process of peer review. I can't be found out to a fraud who has no credibility to offer insights into the quality of someone else's blood, sweat and tears. At least I have another two weeks before the review report is actually due - I'm sure I'll get the grammar, language and insights suitably refined by then. Why can't I help but feel that yet again, this PhD has robbed me of my once sharp intellect!

No comments:

Post a Comment