Pages

Tuesday 21 December 2010

how warm does it need to be for your brain to function?

The temperature here has plummeted. I thought I could handle -7 - 8, but as the temperature has slipped further down the thermometer it's become more difficult for me to even contemplate sticking my head out the window for some fresh air. I was out today - some Christmas shopping - but with the thermometer at -15, I've decided - 'I'm not going out any more' , that's where my bravery ends.

I've been trying to keep my brain functioning but this has become increasingly challenging, not least because of the decreasing temperatures. Today I wanted to download some very interesting South African academic literacies materials and just hit a brick wall. Because I'm not accessing the databases from my OU networked computer or using Internet Explorer this seemingly simple task took me hours. I cant explain it! I gave up mid way through the whole process, being tempted by the prospect of warming my cold feet and watching some incomprehensible Swedish TV. But I need to get all these readings before I head for SA when I wont have unlimited broadband. I'm also rather excited by having 'discovered' these articles, with their potential to open up a wealth of theorisation around my core theoretical area and being located specifically within the SA context. This will go a long way in helping to tip the balance away from my current reliance on the UK literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment