Pages

Friday 11 January 2013

where has all the time gone?

It must be a sign of getting old, but a week seems to flash past, in what feels like, a blink of an eye. I have a deadline on Monday. A deadline set at my last supervision meeting. A watered-down deadline that I was really upset about at the time. Now as I approach it, I still have so much to do even to meet the stripped down parameters of the writing I have to submit.

At the beginning of the week I made some very rough plans about deliverables. I can't bring myself to construct those elaborate, detailed and aesthetically pleasing workplans I did throughout my time at the OU. Particularly as all through my 3rd year I kept failing to meet the deadlines I set for myself. Now a very rough, mind-map-like outline drawn on the back of some printed paper will have to suffice as the main guide to my work activities over the next 6 weeks. I make some tentative weekly  plans that I scribble on my calendar and that is how I proceed.

This past week has been a mixed-bag. Days when I'm really productive and other's where my engagement  is  lackluster at best. I've been tired a lot - just this week. I need a better routine really. Something more varied and one that accommodates some form of physical activity and engagement with other people, not only sitting at my desk in the flat. When I'm away from my desk during the day I'm usually more productive.   UCT library currently being my favorite other place to be and work. And let's not forget or discard Cocoa Cha Chi in Observatory. I'm only productive at my desk at night.

That was the week that was - I now need to make the weekend matter and meet my deadline on Monday with a piece of writing that shows a meaningful move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment