Pages

Wednesday 2 January 2013

a slow belaboured start to the working year

This is probably the first time in my life that I start working on Tweede Nuwe Jaar. Guess my cultural heritage in some way or another has ingrained an inherent averse reaction to working on January 2.

So it was a very slow move out of the starting blocks this morning. And this pattern marked the way I dealt with the rest of the day too. I kept thinking about what I was doing last year and the year before that - remembering times when I didn't feel so stressed or panicked about this PhD (or so I now lead myself to believe).

A slow start, but a start nonetheless and my fellow Capetonians would probably hand me a medal for being so disciplined and dedicated. And to start the year some utterly peripheral but, psychologically, important paraphernalia - a new wireless keyboard to help offset wrist strain and a new smaller and compact mint green diary. I haven't been able to shed my reliance on paper-based means of recording my day-to-day activities and I'm hoping this smart and sophisticated appendix will help me feel better about planning my life in this FINAL year of my PhD. 

Unfortunately, the week ahead is filled with equally pressing family concerns and responsibilities and I will have to juggle my time as I try again to make a concrete stab at the first draft of the Interpretation chapter - that will finally allow me to say  'I have six written chapters'.

No comments:

Post a Comment