Pages

Sunday 22 April 2012

roll on chapter

I have about 10 days to get a draft chapter in for review. I took my spew draft as far as it could go and I'm now adding in the complexity and layers. All sorts of thoughts are entering my mind as I prepare to complete this second stage of writing this chapter - firstly, that I could have completed a more sensitive ethnography, I look back now and feel I was just fumbling in the dark, with little guidance to pay attention to specific aspects of my practice, even though I read a lot of ethnography and ethnographic practice I can't see the tangible influences on my practice; secondly, I wonder if what I'm writing about my research methodology is just glorified 'retrospective' padding - now that I'm reading the literature I'm filling in the blanks, the gaps and I have to ask myself, 'surely those gaps shouldn't have been there in the first place?'; and finally, I wish I had written at least part of my methodology chapter almost immediately after fieldwork - of course I couldn't have know that then, but maybe I should have had some guidance in this respect, at least then I would have a more immediate record of what I did and what the 'true' motivations for my choices and actions were. Anyway - hindsight is probably a false teacher - when looking back at the past one can always find ways in which it could have been improved, but you can only do that because you have the benefit of having experienced that past. My energies are probably better spent on completing the chapter than pondering the inadequacies of my past.

No comments:

Post a Comment