Pages

Wednesday 9 November 2011

trying a little positivity

I'm in the final 10 months of my funded PhD and I need to change, do things differently. For most of my time in the UK I've struggled with this experience, feeling more like a fish out of water. But since my return from Cape Town, after my fieldwork period, my levels of negativity towards 'the PhD' (I talk about it as if it were a physical thing, almost human like) have steady risen. And it doesn't really help my cause because I still want to complete this bit of research and I also acknowledge the validity of the outcome. So when I bad mouth 'the PhD' I bad mouth myself and that's not been very good for my general mental health. I realise that the most challenging bits to this whole process is likely be on the road ahead of me, in the next 10 months (and dare I say possible 11 or 12?), and if I want to get to the other side I need to be focused, calm, confident and positive. But above all of this, I don't like what all this negativity to doing to me as a person anyway. I also know that I've been here before - willing myself to be more positive and open towards the process and obviously I gotten a bit lost along the way - but it's only 10 months and I feel I ought to made more of an effort. I don't want my lasting memory of this experience to be one shrouded in negativity, even bitterness. So here I go again...to hope, positivity, tenacity, resilience, endurance and triumph over adversity...lets see if agency can overcome structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment