Pages

Friday 5 August 2011

transcribing in the grey, humidity of England

On a positive note, I realised that I get up every morning and want to do my transcriptions. That, without any prompting or encouragement I actually want to work on my research - a rather positive little silver lining in the dark clouds outside. Surprisingly, I haven't found it too tedious as yet, but I still have a very long way to go. The surface of the transcription work has just been scratched. Why did I think I would only need 2 weeks to get it all done? So I'm at least a week behind my schedule. I'm on track, of course, if I'm following my Plan B workplan - but that's a swear word at the moment - "jou ma se Plan B". 


So I sit here in my room, the one I rearranged on Tuesday night, and now surprising has space for a chest of draws, with my headset on, starring intently at my laptop screen, with my new glare-resistant glasses, which are really too big for my face, but they were the cheapest, sort-of-cool frames I could get at Tesco's (hell! Tesco, exactly! not the height of fashion and sophistication by a long shot), with my foot on the pedal (yes I use a foot pedal) and my fingers tapping at the key board at an alarming speed as I make almost instantaneous decision about which bits of the discussion I will or wont include. Ah! the analysis has started before I've transferred my data  to Atlas...it has all begun.


I'm pleased I'm all excited about this rather menial,though crucial task, because it ain't no fun sitting in this room by myself, where one day blurs into the next and I fantasize about engaging conversations with really people in a shared physical space. Saying hello to a shop assistant as you pack your groceries does seems to fall short on the social contact stakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment