Pages

Wednesday 21 July 2010

so academics can dance?

Well not really, but the South African women certainly can inspire others to get their grove on!

Just come back from the conference dinner that didn't pass without incident. I was designated a vegetarian so not allowed to receive a salmon starter...sorry I'm not doing justice to what actually happen except to say - the service sucked big time. I felt like a child at boarding school being told off by the dinner lady.
 Many of us (yes the South Africans) were lamenting on how fantastic the HECU 4 conference was and how the HECU 5 just paled in comparison - on all dimension including, food, service, support in dealing with infrastructural issues, music and entertainment at the dinner etc, etc, etc...South African bias? probably.

I had a evening long conversation with a Marxist sociologist who was taught by Basil Bernstein...fantastic I say. So I hear that he was human with all the conflicts and errors us normal people have. But also that he put into practice through his teaching, his theories. I think its important that these mythical figures get de-constructed and brought down to earth, rather than being placed on a pedestal and worshipped like idols. I think my previous posting might have come across as if I was angry and upset by one person's view on her experience. I realise we all are just seeing the world from our perspective and what this affords us - and before I cast a judgemental gaze I should bear this in mind.

Its late, I've had a bit more too drink than I should have and maybe its time to creep into my bed.

 I went for a lovely walk to the little village just outside the campus - think its called Galgate. While walking back to the campus I had this feeling of contentment that I was able to experience the 'prettiness' of the English countryside and the unique way in which little villages like these exists alongside bustling urban centres but retain their unique and beautiful character. Maybe there is a lesson in that for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment