Pages

Monday 21 October 2013

mock viva intensity

I did, or should I say, I survived, my mock viva last week. The most lasting impression of the whole exercise was its intensity. Even though I 'sat' across the table (thanks to Skype) from my 'mock-examiners', who I knew personally, I felt the intensity of the process, the discussion and dialogue that will be a core feature of the REAL event in three weeks time. I jokingly said afterwards, that if I was nervous about the real viva, after the mock, I'm now definitely scared. The mock viva made it blatantly clear to me that the viva is not to be confused with a 'conversation or chance to talk about my research', which unfortunately conveys a sense of a somewhat calm, easy, relaxed and informal chat one might have with peers. This will be different. It will be intense and I will need to perform appropriately. I need to have an primary angle on my research but I also need to be able to see my research and its implications from a number of different angles (even angles I haven't thought of before). I must be able to think on my feet and engage in true academic debate. This means having a deep understanding of my research study but also how it relates and impacts on issues that are much border than the research's narrow parameters.

Besides getting a taste of the intensity to come, the mock viva was extremely affirming. Even with the difficult questions and my reliance here and there on crib notes, I felt confident. And not just a superficial sense of confidence - but an authentic sense that actually I do know my stuff (mostly) and if I prepare some more and work out my strategies slightly differently I can come out alive on the other side. Yes I really can taste the end of this journey.

1 comment: