Pages

Sunday 24 February 2013

I'll follow the sun

It felt like I needed the sun this week. On Thursday when I arrived at UCT at about 12pm, I felt compelled to sit at the bottom on Jamie steps for a few minutes before rushing into the library to work on my Interpretation chapter. I sat on the edge of University Avenue and watched the passing undergraduate students. I looked out across the Cape Flats, the real world below the ivory tower perched on the hill, and allowed the sun to burn my skin. I've been in Cape Town for more than four months and I haven't really allowed myself to enjoy the city, its weather and beautiful, vibrant people. This morning I sat on St James' beach at just after 10am and for the first time since I returned to the city, I submerged my body into its ocean. Why had it taken me so long? What is it about this PhD process that makes you feel like you aren't allowed to enjoy everyday pleasures? That unless you give everything over to the PhD you are bound to suffer the wrath of the PhD guilt police. This week the sun called me and I listened and followed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment