Pages

Monday 25 February 2013

I can get no sleep

On the back of an intense week I had a really relaxed weekend. I watched movies, spoke to friends, did a little bit of work on Saturday, followed the sun on Sunday and spent some quality time with my niece in Stellenbosch. I was visualizing a productive and equally intense week preparing the bulk of my thesis for review. I felt confident with the amount of time I had to complete the tasks at hand. For the first time in a long time I felt confident that I could attend to all the 'gaps' I had identified, allowing me to submit a reasonably polished draft to the supervisors come Friday (well I was going to extend the deadline to Monday morning because who reads anything on the weekend, especially a PhD student's draft work?). But this is where the subconscious intervenes and brings any cheeky, arrogant, over-confident PhD student right down to size. I couldn't sleep last night - no amount of Rescue Remedy or Relicalm tablets brought me any relief. All I could do was watch the clock, slowly, painfully countdown the minutes and hours to about 5am. I knew I'd feel like crap in the morning and all the good intentions of kick-starting this all important week would be doomed before it even started. I got too big for my boots - is probably how my Mom might explain the whole sorry night. Where did I possibly get off thinking I could feel confident or on track with my work? So having wasted the day away feeling like yesterday's reheated breakfast - I'm now behind my well meaning plan to do things right this week and have some time to spare. What does that infamous comic-strip say...Piled high and Deeper!

2 comments:

  1. If you can hear the faint cheer on the other side of the world, that's me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are you cheering? Are you happy I can't sleep or happy you finally have a comrade in arms? But surely now that the PhD is over for you, you can sleep peacefully, no?

    ReplyDelete