Pages

Monday 17 September 2012

not everyone can understand

I had a response about my blog post yesterday - the person couldn't understand why I was feeling sad about leaving the UK and in a way belittled my emotional response to all the mixed and confusing feelings I was experiencing. Surely coming home to my 'real' friends and family in Cape Town should be enough to dispel any ambivilance I might be feeling. Maybe for some people but not for me. Because I am sad about leaving here doesn't mean that I care any less for my friends and family in Cape Town than I do for the people I have come to care for in England and who have certainly come to care for me. This 'silly', probably insignificant comment on my blog post upset me and while I've dismissed the whole incident as coming from someone who doesn't really understand me or indeed the complexity of normal human interaction and life as a whole - it has brought into sharp focus that being in the UK for four years has changed me and possibly some people might not like, accept or appreciate these changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment