Pages

Friday 6 July 2012

analysing assignment constructing in film studies

I think it's almost done, almost but not yet. It's taken me so damn long to write. My argument, for want of a better term (why does it feel wrong to call the interpretation you have developed as a result of your analysis an argument?), has been brewing in my head since I picked up the old version of this piece of analysis, completed in February, about 6 weeks ago. My main insight, about how students construct assignments in a film studies course, crystallised then - but constructing that insight into a readable, intelligent, understandable and coherent discussion has been a slow protracted exercise. I can't say how many times I've read and rewritten paragraphs of the section I worked on this week. The overall idea, insight or argument is pretty much what I expressed in a little diagram 6 weeks ago but to explain it in a coherent way...well! I don't think I could have rushed it, although I would be a lot happier tonight if the writing happened quicker. I tried to tell myself sometime today to just accept that it took as long as it did. To be content in the fact that I've been thorough and conscientious in my writing. So what if it took a bit longer, it's a better piece of writing because it took longer. I shouldn't get all evangelistic about the chapter just yet because it isn't done. Last section on the recontextualisation principles needs to be written tomorrow - and let's hope I get it written by tomorrow, because my literature review is waiting...patiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment