Pages

Friday 30 March 2012

shambles in the analysis

I've been trying to work on the analysis of my second research site. The last time I looked at this work was at the end of February. I've been working on Case 1 for most of March. The writing in Case 2 analysis was very dense, embedded and unclear. I realised as I tried to make sense of what I wrote, that I didn't know what I wanted to say when I wrote it and the structure of writing seems to reflects the lack of clarity in my thoughts. I also remember clearly how hard it had been for me to write this draft in the summer heat of January and February in Cape Town. Today I decided to follow the structure I created in Case 1 and apply it to Case 2. I needed some direction because I felt I was tying myself up in knots trying to unravel the previous version of Case 2  - getting increasingly frustrated because I wasn't getting anywhere. I think I'm more in control of the story I want to tell about Case 1, which at this point is pretty much 'complete'. Case 2 is very underdeveloped and large parts of it still need to tackled in a very detailed fine-grained manner. I don't know what the story associated with that case is yet. But in general I'm feeling that analysis, is the hardest thing to write. Well maybe I should wait until I've finished the whole thesis before I make such sweeping claims. Who knows, writing the analysis might seem like a walk in the park once I get to the other parts of the thesis.

On a practical note - another working weekend. Hopefully it will result in some progess overall and concrete improvements to Case 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment