Pages

Wednesday 18 January 2012

a gypsy frame-of-mind

I'm in Cape Town - Gardens, Cape Town to be exact. In the past 10 days I've travelled between three countries and two continents - went from -8 degrees, to 11 degrees and then +30 degree temperatures. I've trekked my body, my books, my notepads, my computers, my clothes and other paraphernalia through four different households and still they seem to be moving. Yes the earth rotates around it's own axis but you aren't meant to feel this movement. Even though my possessions have temporarily found a place to rest, my head is still moving, spinning. The heat my body is experiencing tells me I'm in Cape Town in January but my brain is still in the places I associate with my academic work and my love.

I need to work, my analysis is begging me to give it my full attention - deadlines are looming and the pressure of all of this is weighing heavily on my shoulders both literally and figuratively. Should I have come to Cape Town now of all times? Can being here sooth my anxieties, pressures, disconnections or will it merely create some new ones of its own? Who is to know...Transition is a 'mother'! And I'll get through it...I've been through more harrowing transitions in the past three years so I will get through this one. Conversations, eager and interested listeners, being heard and being sought out to provide a listening ear will go along way to ease my transition blues. No romantic notions of the free-spirited-always-in-and-happy-in-motion gypsy being experienced here!

Table Mountain from the bathroom window

The back of Devil's Peak just visible



Sea Point Pavilion Pool - the venue of my early morning swim(s) - hopefully 

No comments:

Post a Comment