Pages

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Giving myself permission

I love the fact that I have friends and mentors who can gently and encouragingly tell me that I’m doing the right things and doing it well enough. Trusting their opinions and insights means I can give myself permission to relax and just be, confident in the realisation that by relaxing it doesn't mean I’m looking for a way out of doing the work – it just means that I have done all I need to do. I had such a conversation today. It allowed me to look at my own fieldwork activities in a positive, progressive and complete way, rather than in my defaulting deficit viewpoint. Everyone needs moments where the people who ‘see’ us, tell us what they really see. We shouldn't have to only rely on what we see of ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment