Pages

Wednesday 28 April 2010

Making education my husband

I found this in my inbox this morning, from a Cape Town friend. She wondered if this is what I was doing? Long-story- short of the article was the value to Black South Africa girls of making education, rather than some useless man your focus of attention. By making this very powerful choice, one then opens up the range of choices you will have to make your life a better, more fulfilling one. A rather poignant statement during the 1970's and 1980's in South Africa, but increasingly relevant I think to the Black girl child today. But of course this isn't about the girl child somewhere in a South African township, its about how this relates to me - the not so girl child. 

Have I made education my husband? I think my late father would probably say yes. I remember him asking me one day, just before he died, if I was happy with all the studying I was doing, especially since I didn't have a husband like 'normal' women my age ought to. I don't think its a choice for me like it is might be for the girls the article is directed at. In fact I think having that significant someone around during this process would probably enhance and add another dimension to the whole experience. If the person was supportive of the whole exercise that is. I do see many of my colleagues within relationships create and manage a 'balanced' personal-PhD life, which is something I struggle to do here in England. I would also hate to think I was forced to pick one or the other, I would much prefer having both - education and a 'husband'. But I now have a good rebuttal when questioned about my singleness and/or the many degrees I seem to be amassing.

2 comments:

  1. There are worse things to be married to, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a husband I guess. Thanks for your optimism.

    ReplyDelete