Pages

Friday 11 December 2009

Supervision Preparation Notes 10 December 2010


I presented these notes along with a discussion that focused on three different ways I had tried to incorporate Bernstein's concepts into a research design. This discussion became the basis around which I made an argument for why I had selected one of the designs.

  • 10 weeks of 'searching' or trying to capture what I thought my intentions where re: PhD study

    • Key issues

      • Curriculum


      • Academic literacies




  • I see academic literacies are bringing new insights, more textured understanding of student experiences into curriculum work. This is what inspired my initial appeal to academic literacies


  • Past year at the OU has expanded my understanding of the full scope (almost) of academic literacies and I've developed a more sophisticated understanding of what the field is about and where I fit in (almost). I've also started to understand it as a perspective and how to distinguish its work – epistemologically, methodologically and contextually


  • What has been difficult – my dislocation from a place of practice, context to inform the research

    • This distancing has created a distortion of what I saw as the 'problem' and how I wanted to conceptualise the 'problem'


    • Thus a distortion of the focus of my research



  • Within the last week I read two article 'by accident'/serendipitously and this helped to realign my thinking – even bringing me back to reality.


  • Realisation that I've been fixated on Bernstein

    • Red herring


    • The processing of trying to 'fit' Bernstein's theoretical frameworks into a research design was illuminating

      • Helped redirect my gaze back to my initial interest



ACCESS to disciplinary / practice based knowledge.

  • What are the implications of literacy practices for access agendas into disciplinary knowledge?


  • What are the implications of literacy practices for identity in relation to academia and industry/practice

Keywords : Access, academic literacy practice, constructions of knowledge (disciplinary knowledge, recontextualised knowledge, professional knowledge), identity



No comments:

Post a Comment