Pages

Monday 19 October 2009

British Library

Thanks to Stephen my friend and colleague from the OU, I was introduced to the 'glory' of the British Library today. I was most impressed. Sure I have often done a document delivery via the OU so gained access to their catalogue, but to actually use their library was amazing. The building is rather modern and their approach to the space and how a library should be used could be described as rather progressive. Free WiFi every where, cafes and open spaces for people to sit and chat and work. So the place is alive and a buzz with people and conversation and activity. But then they have these reading rooms, where you enter into silence and I guess into a community of like minded people all focused on gained the most from the books spread out in front them. I guess its this community that is so absent from my life at the OU and maybe I can find some of it at the British Library.

I've started to plot how I might use Bernstein's pedagogic device and its relationship with the core focus of my research, student academic literacy practices. But its early days yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment