Pages

Thursday 27 March 2014

the life blood that sustains me

I have to talk. Talking defines who I am. I think if I was denied the opportunity of expressing my thoughts, feelings, ideas, emotions through talk I could easily shrivel-up and die. The importance of this aspect what makes me, me has been brought into sharp focus over the past two days. On both days I had a chance to talk to colleagues/friends. On both occasions the topic was an aspect of academic life and on both occasions I was given the chance to talk, but more importantly I had to flex my intellect, think deeply and take in the wonderful stimulation offered by this 'simple' interpersonal interaction.

How wonderful it is to share in this most basic human interaction. I've raised the wonder of this taken-for-granted activity because it is what is so obviously missing from my current professional life. Last night I imagined what I might become if I was constantly immersed in an environment where I was challenged and stimulated intellectually. I remember why I loved my adult education diploma and all the taught masters' courses I even took. Because of the wonderful opportunities it granted me to read something and then discuss it with peers. I have to grapple with the theories or arguments presented on paper, express my opinions about it, listen to what someone else thought, then respond or counter their position. At the same time work through my own understanding of these very theories and arguments - and learn, learn, learn. For me talking and learning go together - whether its learning of the academic or personal kind. Now, sitting alongside my glass of red wine, writing this, I feel content.

No comments:

Post a Comment