Pages

Friday 10 May 2013

washing it all down with a bit of 'pink drink'

I've had a pretty crap week. So it seemed fitting to wash away all the crap, this afternoon, with some 'pink drink'. The 'pink drink' was the perfect accompaniment to the robust, stimulating and challenging critical conversation I had with LT, an 'ex' of mine. The edge has been taken off my rather up-then-down and totally frustrating week. I'm tired, so tired. I feel I lack the inspiration, energy and drive that most people say they experience at this stage of the game. I just feel spent already. As I'm thinking through the conclusion arguments I want to make, I know it's all in my head - but I'm spent and frustrated that I can't express my thoughts in the ways I know it needs to be expressed. 

My friend and 'ex'-colleague passed her viva with minor corrections this week. A fantastic result and one I knew she would achieve. Of course this is a result I would be ecstatic to receive myself, but having said that I wouldn't feel any shame if I got major corrections. In fact I've boldly stated that a 'pass with major corrections' would be a perfectly reasonable outcome. I'd be annoyed, but not disappointed. Maybe I'm just being realistic, or maybe it's the tired me talking. I know my research is solid, I know I'm making a meaningful contribution - but I also know that the value of what I have done in this research, can and will live beyond the thesis. That's the exciting part for me. In a way I see the process of putting the thesis together as a necessary evil to get me to that point. Again my anti-PhD self is highlighting the very insignificance of this significant process (to quote LT). So hey ho! Onward I go to pin the conclusion down and move closer still to finishing the thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment