Pages

Wednesday 1 August 2012

a calmer more composed me

I took four days off last week, and I've just come 'back' to my desk to face my PhD again. I'm now behind with my literature review schedule and I haven't done any writing for about 10 days.
Time and distance often gives you the space to reflect and gain perspective and I think my time 'away' has offered me some perspective. This process is a hard one and you have to be able to get up in the face of adversity and continue on (I guess, in general, this could be said about life too). However, I sometimes think I might just be missing this point - that the Phd is hard and that I have to pick myself up after a hard knock and move on. I have to grow some 'hair on my teeth' - and yes, I've been told this before, and I listened and thought I took it on - but hey - maybe not where it mattered.

So now, onward - always onward even if it's onward into the wilderness. I'm enjoying the Olympics - can't seem to get enough of it - probably because it's everywhere. Strangly, I'm starting to understand, in a new way, when atletes cry on the winners' podium or when they cry when they've been defeated. I can empathise with that deep emotional 'something' that just comes from, seemingly nowhere, but is so profoundly connected to, and representive of, all that you are - and yet you seem unable to control it. Hey ho! this is learning for you!

Herne Bay on Monday - the Kent coast

1 comment:

  1. You're living the dream! Way to enjoy the country before pushing off/back to familiar shores. I love all the metaphorical/metonymical potential of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete